Information Access Requests
What is Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy?
Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy (or FOIP) refers to provincial legislation which governs how public bodies, like the City of Wetaskiwin, may collect personal information, and how the information may be accessed by members of the public.
Personal Information is defined under the FOIP Act as:
- name, home or business address, home or business telephone number;
- race, national or ethnic origin, colour;
- religious or political beliefs or associations;
- age, sex, marital status or family status;
- identifying number referring to the specific individual;
- fingerprints or other biometric characteristics;
- health and health care history;
- educational, financial, employment or criminal history including criminal records where a pardon has been given;
- anyone else's opinion;
- an individual's personal views or opinions, except if they are about someone else.
How to access information:
If there are records you would like to access, the first step is identifying what the information is.
Records with your own personal information do not require an application fee to access. If you would like to access your own information, you must provide proof of identity, or if you have delegated the authority to someone else to access your records, they must provide proof that you have authorized them to act on your behalf.
General InformationAny other record held by the City is considered general information and is subject to a $25 information request fee. Once we receive your request we may contact you to clarify what information you are requesting so that we may process your request quicker. You may request a copy of a record or you may alternatively request to view a record.
|Submit an information request here|
Some information requests may be subject to extra processing costs, depending on your request. Factors that may increase costs may include:
- Time needed to retrieve the records;
- Having to produce a physical record from an electronic record;
- Having to mail or ship a record to the recipient;
- The cost of making copies of the records for release.
If you would like to make an information access request please download the Information Access Request form and return it to the FOIP Coordinator with the accompanying $25 fee, if applicable. If your request is subject to additional fees, the FOIP Coordinator will provide an estimate of fees before proceeding with the request. If the cost of processing your request exceeds $150, you will be required to pay a 50% deposit upfront.
Contact the FOIP Coordinator
Phone: 780.361.4400 ext. 8835
Mail: Box 6210 (4705 - 50 Avenue)
Information Access Fee Schedule, FOIP Bylaw 1995-21
** Note: Prices quoted above are in addition to the cost of actual materials used.