Development News

Environmental Sustainability Program

The City of Wetaskiwin is committed to being a sustainable community that responsibly manages its infrastructure, finances, and environment. The Environmental Sustainability Program is comprised of three components: the low flow toilet rebate, the solar panel rebate, and the green building rebate.

Low Flow Toilet Rebate 

View the rebate application

The low-flow toilet rebate is available for properties with a current City of Wetaskiwin utility account in good standing. Replace inefficient toilets (13L or more) with one that uses no more than 6L per flush to have your utility account credited with a $50 rebate. Please read the application for full details.

Solar Panel Rebate

View the rebate application

The solar panel rebate program recognizes the significant financial investment property owners make to lessen their environmental footprint. A rebate of $500 is available for eligible residential installations of approved solar panel systems, and a rebate of $1,000 for eligible non-residential installations of approved solar panel systems.

Green Building Rebate

View the rebate application

The green building rebate offers builders or home owners who build to a Built Green, R2000 or LEED standard a full rebate of the development fee.

Development Permit Statistics

The following list of development permits issued in 2018 is updated monthly. Permits can be appealed to the Subdivision and Development Appeal Board within 14 days from the decision date.

Building Permit Statistics

The following list of building permits issued in 2018 is updated monthly:

Compliance Certificates

A Compliance Certificate is a confirmation from the City of Wetaskiwin that the location of the building(s) on the site complies with the requirements of the Land Use Bylaw. It does not regulate or enforce building code requirements. A Compliance Certificate is usually required by lending agencies and/or lawyers in the sale of property and/or mortgage approval in order to protect their clients' investments. Standard real estate purchase contracts often require the vendor to obtain a Compliance Certificate. A Compliance Certificate is not a legislative requirement, but rather a service provided by the City of Wetaskiwin. The City does not require you to get a Compliance Certificate.

The fees for a Compliance Certificate are $100 for residential and $200 for non-residential. Additional fees will apply if a Compliance Certificate is required within a short time-frame.

New Home Buyer Protection Act

All Albertans who buy a new home will have warranty coverage for their purchase under new legislation. The New Home Buyer Protection Act requires builders to provide home warranty coverage for all new homes built in the province. For more information, please contact the New Home Buyer Protection Office at 1-866-421-6929 or visit their website at Alberta Home Warranty

Builder Licensing

In 2017, new requirements came into effect for residential builders in Alberta. All residential builders are required to have a builder license in order to construct new homes. Builder licensing applies to anyone constructing new homes, including condominiums and large multi-family homes, as well as renovations when a residential construction project requires new home warranty coverage. For more information, please contact Municipal Affairs at 1-866-421-6929 or visit their website at Alberta Municipal Affairs

High Intensity Residential Fires

View the amendments made to the Alberta Building Code regarding High Intensity Residential Fires:

Land Use Bylaw - Did You Know?

To help our citizens better understand specific regulations within the City, we are compiling facts from our Land Use Bylaw that will provide answers to some of our most popular questions. We will continually add this information, however if you have a specific question regarding the City of Wetaskiwin Land Use Bylaw, please contact our office at 780-361-4432.

  • Issue 1 (PDF) - Parking & Loading, Hard surfacing & Curbing of Parking & Loading Spaces, Landscaping, Exterior Finishes.
  • Issue 2 (PDF)- Fence Permits, Objects and Uses Prohibited in Residential Areas, Utilities to Sites, Private Swimming Pools
  • Issue 3 (PDF) - Lot Grading Requirement