Land Use Bylaw and Zoning Amendments (Rezoning)

Land Use Bylaw and Zoning Amendments

The Land Use Bylaw regulates how and where development happens through Land Use Districts, or zones. Land Use Districts identify what kinds of uses are permitted or discretionary in particular areas, and provide regulations related to building type, site layout and other land use issues. This section outlines how land owners can apply to have the Land Use Bylaw amended. 

The Land Use Bylaw can be found here, and the Web Map can be used to view a map of Land Use Districts or identify the zoning for a particular property. 

What is a Land Use Bylaw/Zoning amendment?

City Council has the ability to make text amendments and map amendments to the Land Use Bylaw. Text amendments are modifications to existing regulations or clauses within the Land Use Bylaw. Map amendments, or "rezoning," change the land use classification of a property. For example, rezoning a property from R1 - Single Dwelling Residential to R2 - Low Density Residential would allow a duplex to be built on it.  

Is public consultation required for all Land Use Bylaw/Zoning amendments? 

The Planning and Development department will review each proposed amendment and determine if public consultation is required. If public consultation is required, the Planning and Development Department will notify properties within 76 m of the property affected by the amendment. A public meeting or open house may be held if deemed necessary. 

What are the timelines for amending the Land Use Bylaw/Zoning Districts?

The timeline for amending the Land Use Bylaw/Zoning District varies depending on the complexity of the proposed amendment. Applicants should anticipate that all amendments may take two (2) to three (3)  months to fully complete the review and decision making process. 

What happens if my amendment is refused?

Applicants whose proposed amendments are refused by Council must wait twelve (12) months before re-applying to the Planning and Development Department for any similar amendment applications. For more information, review Section 3.13 Bylaw Amendments of the Land Use Bylaw.

Land Use Bylaw/Zoning Amendment Process

Step 1: Download and complete the Land Use Bylaw/Zoning Amendment Application 

Step 2: Submit the application to the Planning and Development Department. 

  • The application will be reviewed against existing statutory plans (ASPs, MDP, etc.), and other City of Wetaskiwin regulations to determine whether the proposed amendment is acceptable. 
  • If the application is deemed acceptable, the application will be circulated internally to all City Departments for their comments.
  • If required, affected properties will be notified of the proposed amendment, and will be invited to submit comments. Further public consultation may be conducted, if necessary.

Step 3: The Planning and Development Department will submit a Request for Decision (RFD) to City of Wetaskiwin City Council.

  • The Request for Decision (RFD) will outline the proposed amendment, any relevant feedback from the public, and Administration's recommendation regarding the amendment. 

Step 4: City Council will receive the RFD for first reading. 

  • A Land Use Bylaw/Zoning Amendment must undergo three readings by City Council.
  • At the first council meeting, City Council has three options, they may choose to:
  1. Give the amendment first reading which allows the amendment to proceed to a Public Hearing Council Meeting.
  2. Table the amendment to another Council Meeting, or   
  3. Deny the amendment based on the information provided. 

Step 5. City Council will hear the second and third reading at a City Council Public Hearing Meeting. 

  • Public Hearing meetings occur on select Mondays at 4:00 PM. For more information, please visit the Public Hearing & Notices page
  • Administration will advertise the proposed amendment to the community for two consecutive weeks. At this point in time, any resident of Wetaskiwin can speak for or against the proposed amendment. 
  • If the proposed amendment reaches third reading and is carried, the amendment will come into force.

Note that development and building permits are required before beginning development on a rezoned property. These permits must be applied for separately from the rezoning application. 

Fee Schedule

See the Planning and Development fee schedule for applicable fees.