Zoning and Rezoning 

What is zoning? 
The City of Wetaskiwin is required to have a Land Use Bylaw in accordance with the Municipal Government Act, Part 17. Within the Land Use Bylaw (LUB), zoning is a method of regulations to used ensure that new and existing development is compatible with the needs of the community.

Zoning regulations, laid out in the City’s Land Use Bylaw No. 1804-13, must guide city council’s decisions on all proposed development, such as where new buildings should go, what types of buildings they can be, what activities and businesses can happen there, and any other requirements. Zoning controls the height, size, and location of buildings. These regulations allow the City to make sure there are front and backyards, adequate space between houses, room for parking, sidewalks, and trees. 

Zoning is also used to regulate land use and implement the objectives and goals in the Municipal Development Plan. It sets out shared rules everyone must follow and protects citizens from conflicting land uses in their community. 

Every lot and parcel of land within the City of Wetaskiwin has a zone and a set of rules assigned to it. Check out the zoning map at  

What is rezoning? 
Rezoning is the process of changing a property’s zoning to allow for a proposed development that is outside of the uses specified in the property’s original zone classification. Rezoning is achieved through an amendment to City’s Land Use Bylaw (LUB), which requires a public hearing prior to the second reading of the amended bylaw. Public hearings allow the public an opportunity to express concerns regarding land use issues and more. 

What types of zones are there?

  • Residential: zones that allow for different types of homes, including but not limited to single family houses, row housing, and apartments.
  • Commercial: zones that allow people to run businesses, including but not limited to offices, retail, and food service. 
  • Industrial: zones where manufacturing, processing, assembly, distribution, and service and repair are allowed. 
  • Urban Service and Open Space: this zone designates land for public or privately-owned institutional (e.g., education and health), recreational, and community service developments. 
  • Urban Reserve: this use establishes an area for development that won’t cause issues to the logical expansion of future urban uses, such as greenhouses and plant nurseries.  
  • Direct Control: this use is to establish an area in which city council may regulate and exercise particular control over the use and development of land and buildings within a designated area.